CRAVE FEATURED SPOTLIGHT THE CULT OF ME by MICHAEL BROOKES winner The winner is Paddy O'Callaghan!

The winner is Paddy O'Callaghan!


Excerpt – The Cult of Me
Instantly I noticed the contrast. The priest’s mind had been a storm of guilt and fear, this guard’s only a serene calm. His name was David Hammond and I had guessed correctly about him being ex-forces. From his memories I gleaned visions of his combat tours with the Royal Marines in far flung desert places. He had seen action and lots of it. As a sniper he dealt death from afar. The weirdest part wasn’t that he knew that I was there. It was that he didn’t mind, he looked me clean in the eye and invited me straight in.
His mind struck me as unlike anything I previously experienced. I had encountered calm people before, but usually there was an undercurrent, some inner turmoil that boiled beneath their own understanding. Not this man though, on all levels he was at peace with himself. No lingering doubts, no inner turmoil.
I don’t mind admitting that I was shocked. I have been inside many minds and this knowing acceptance was unlike anything... And there, in the centre I discovered it. I’m not sure what is was, but it was there, a solid beacon, a rock of light that anchored him.
I wanted to press closer, to peel away at this mystery, but the crowd was growing restless. All they could see was this guard, already a known entity within the prison, one of the few officers that received their respect and me, staring at each other. They could almost taste the atmosphere between us. There was a palpable tension rising, so I calmly nodded at him in acknowledgement, winked at the priest and settled back into my chair and watched him stutter his way through the service.
BE SURE TO ENTER TO WIN A COPY OF THIS AWESOME AUTHORS BOOK FOR YOURSELF!


 

Bio- Michael Brookes
By day I work as a Producer for one of the leading UK independent game developers. Games along with reading (and writing) are major passions in my life. I currently live in probably the flattest place in the world in the east of England, although over the years I have lived all over the country. I've always been interested in writing it is only recently that I've really pushed myself to finish a complete book. That effort has now seen the light of day and I'm looking forward to starting the next book. I'm also an avid reader with Ian M Banks and Terry Prachett being amongst my favourite modern authors. My favourite story of all time is Paradise Lost, a hard read, but a sublime story.